Reaching OUT 2015 Spring Marketing & Communications Paid Internship
Posted by Reaching Out LGBT / in LGBTQ BUSINESS STUDENT BLOG /
Reaching Out MBA Inc. (also known as Reaching OUT) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to educating, inspiring and connecting lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) business students. Despite a changing social landscape for LGBT people, currently, 53% of professionals feel compelled to hide or lie about who they are at work. Through a growing number of year-round programs and a national conference, Reaching OUT works towards a vision for school and workplace environments in which there are no barriers to prevent LGBT people from furthering their education and building their careers while being their authentic selves.
Founded in 1999, we have grown in organizational size and breadth of our work. This year our annual conference had 1,400 attendees from business schools throughout the country and was sponsored by over 80 corporations including Google, Boston Consulting Group, Apple, Bain, Deloitte, Target and American Express. In 2015 the organization will further expand its programming with a series of regional/special topic events, a true individual membership structure that better incorporates alumni, and the launch of a national LGBT MBA Scholarship/Fellowship program in coordination with 10 top business schools.
Reaching OUT seeks a dynamic, self-starter to assist its 2015 spring marketing and communications strategy. The internship will focus on developing and implementing a marketing strategy for new regional events and an individual membership program. The organization’s target audience is current LGBT business graduate students, alumni and prospective LGBT graduate students in that priority. This individual will work directly under the Executive Director. Though the Executive Director is based in Boston, this position may be located anywhere in the United States.
This internship is an excellent opportunity to build and execute a marketing & communications strategy for a new product in a start-up like environment. It is also a great opportunity for any student seeking non-profit or social impact exposure.
Late-January-Early May. Option for summer extension.
Approx. 8-10 hours on a weekly basis
- Work with Reaching OUT’s Executive Director, staff and Board to build a full marketing strategy for new events and membership campaign
- Develop and co-manage social media campaigns around Membership and Regional Events
- Assisting in writing and editing marketing materials, which include email campaigns, web & social content, and press materials
- Assist in updating the Reaching OUT’s website using Content Management System
- Assist in the Reaching OUT’s online SEM and SEO marketing
- Measure and track responses with campaign for adjustments
- Other duties assigned
Skills and Specifications
- Current MBA or graduate student with focus on marketing a plus, but not required
- Past marketing experience, particularly with service-based or event-based products a plus
- Knowledge of marketing principles
- Understand use of social a and applying to marketing principles
- Capable of writing reports, procedures and business correspondence
- Ability to work individually and self-driven projects
- Demonstrate ability to solve problems, analyze systems and data and suggest appropriate solutions
- Well built skills in organization, prioritization and time management
- Work under stress to meet project deadlines and minute attention to detail
- Desire to learn and contribute
Please upload a resume and cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position to Matt Kidd at firstname.lastname@example.org