± Analysis – Rating Agency
• Useful Resources: www.sandp.com, www.moodys.com
• Important skills to highlight: Ability to make recommendations and to stand behind them, industry expertise, understanding of financial statement analysis (most importantly fixed income/credit) markets, writing ability, intellectual curiosity as it relates to research.
• Key phrases/words: Recommend, valuation, assess, risk analysis, credit exposure, credit, research
• Useful Resources: Association of Management Consulting Firms – www.amcf.org, Institute of Management Consultants – www.imcusa.org. Vault consulting Industry Guide: http://www.vault.com/hubs/502/hubhome_502.jsp?ch_id=502
• Important skills to highlight: quantitative, qualitative, conceptual ability, detail orientation, service orientation.
• Key phrases/words: delivering value, problem solving, objectivity, solution orientation, flexibility, leadership, assessing solutions, making recommendations, client relationship orientation and credibility.
± Corporate Finance
• Useful Resources: Vault Guides to Investment Banking www.vault.com
• Important skills to highlight: Modeling experience, Accounting Background, Team work, Preparation of pitchbooks and/or presentations, analytical writing skills.
• Key phrases/words: Performed analysis, Executed Transactions, Teamwork.
• Useful Resources: http://www.marketingpower.com/ Vault’s Marketing Industry Guide: http://vault.com/hubs/615/hubhome_615.jsp?ch_id=615 , Vault’s Guide to Consumer Products: http://www.vault.com/hubs/505/hubhome_505.jsp?ch_id=505
• Important skills to highlight: analytical skills, creativity, leadership, project management, strong communication skills, teamwork
• Key phrases/words: analyze P&L (profit and loss), worked with a cross-functional team, launched a new product, negotiated with vendors, managed project from inception through creation and implementation
± Media and Entertainment
• Useful Resources: Vault’s Guide to Media and Entertainment http://www.vault.com/hubs/506/hubhome_506.jsp?ch_id=506
• Important skills to highlight: financial analysis, project management, communication skills, leadership, teamwork, relationship management, developing strategies, creativity
• Key phrases/words: led and managed the contract development and due diligence process, negotiated deal, developed relationship with, identified potential growth opportunities
± Research – Sell Side and Buy Side
• Useful Resources: Vault Guides to Investment Management: http://www.vault.com/hubs/501/channelhome_501.jsp?ch_id=261
• Important skills to highlight: understanding of financial statement analysis (most importantly fixed income/credit) markets, writing ability.
• Key phrases/words: Problem solver, Ability to think on your feet, team player, demonstrated previous record of financial analysis, demonstrate ability to understand corporate strategies (capital structure and growth strategy).